Skip to main content

The Keywi Story Begins



Commuting by bus to class gave me extra time to study!
Roughly ten years ago, my busy college schedule of classes, studies, and work meant that free time was absolutely precious to me. Struggling to find a balance between all my commitments, I attempted many different methods of studying on the go.

One day I decided to prepare for a Physiology exam while on my bus commute to class. Engrossed in my notes, I was startled when the bus lurched to a halt. Glancing up, I suddenly realized it was my stop and I hurried to collect all my things. I haphazardly stuffed my textbook and binder into my backpack while several stray papers slid across the floor. A fellow student reached down to help me retrieve my now crumpled notes. Thanking him over my shoulder, I jumped off the bus and rushed to class. Shaking my head, I couldn’t help but see a little humor in my latest studying strategy. What a sight I had to be jogging up the sidewalk with my backpack half-zipped and disheveled papers clutched in my arms. Studying on the bus seemed like a perfectly good way to spend my time, but that meant I always had to lug around my textbook and notes wherever I went.

Perhaps by necessity, I eventually perfected the art of studying during my free time. I simply kept a set of ring-bound flashcards with me wherever I went. This way there was no need for heavy textbooks or cumbersome pages of notes. With the cards with me always on hand, I could easily memorize a card or two as I walked or sat on the bus. I had never been good at memorization, but breaking up the task in this simple way really helped. I was amazed at all the unexpected free moments I found throughout my day and surprised by how much material I was able to cover just by making use of those brief moments.
Besides using my free time to study, it dawned on me to make use of that time to uplift my spirit. As a Christian, I had always had the desire to learn and memorize more scripture. Unfortunately, how to go about that in a practical, intentional way had always eluded me. I was going through a period in my life where I was really seeking God’s will for my future and I was especially motivated to stand on the solid ground of God’s promises rather than linger in a state of fear and doubt. And then the thought struck me: why not carry around some memory verses to encourage me throughout the day?

Next Read: The Keywi is Born or back to: About


Popular posts from this blog

March 2014 Prayer Letter

Dear friends and family, A heartfelt thank you to all of you for your prayers and support of the Keywi card project!  2014 is really picking up speed and I have some exciting updates to share with you as well as a number of specific prayer requests (all listed below).  Your agreement in prayer, encouragement, ideas, and feedback are priceless to me.  I cannot undertake this alone.  I am truly grateful for your support alongside me as I walk forward, endeavoring to follow Jesus' lead in all I do. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and guidance over this project.   He has truly orchestrated the sowing of His word! *Keywi cards have been sent all over the country including Washington state, Boston, New York city, Hagerstown, Maryland, and Brownwood, Texas.  Several friends of mine are also planning to transport them to Naples, Florida, Philadelphia, and even to Zimbabwe this May. &nbsp *Psalm 91 Keywis are continuing to be sent out to troops as a ...

The Keywi Goes to Costa Rica

     Years before launching the Keywi project , I traveled to Costa Rica with my church for a short-term mission trip.  I had just finished graduate school and I was anxious to be out of the classroom and immersed in an overseas adventure! Nevertheless, despite the change of scenery and long-distance location, my studious habits still traveled with me. In preparation for the trip I  made up a ring-bound set of flashcards with Bible verses in Spanish. I wanted to have some familiarity with God’s word in the Costa Rican native tongue.  All my years in Spanish classes had focused on practical things like where to find the bathroom or directions to a hospital... but if someone were to ask me about Jesus or to pray for them, I wanted to be prepared for that too!  One of the girls at the school who  helped us paint during our mission trip While on the trip, we had a blast visiting orphans, painting churches and schools, and hosting an...

The Keywi is Born

The very first Keywi cards, duct tape and all! After months of carrying around ring-bound flashcards in college, I decided to make a few changes of my own. Being able to study on the go was a definite plus, but there were a few problems with the flashcards I bought in stores. The ring the cards came with was much too flimsy for carrying around on my keys or snapped to my backpack. After a dozen or so times of losing all my cards because the ring pulled open, I switched to a sturdier carabiner. In addition, I taped a rubber band to the back card so I could keep the cards in a neat stack when I wasn’t using them. I used duct tape and a thin rubber band that eventually broke, but for the time I used the first “keywi ™” cards they served me well! From much use and being transported on my keys everywhere, the card edges got a little worn and discolored, but the trade-off was that I actually put to memory some encouraging verses that really applied to my life. I'll alway...