Skip to main content

Psalm 139:23-24

"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

I love the Psalms.  Perhaps it is the English major in me.  They are deeply poetic and thick with emotion.  David's intimate relationship with the Lord is on display throughout the Psalms.  He invites God in to the depths of his heart.  David bravely makes this prayer request of God himself. He knows that God knows everything about him, but He asks God to give him real tests in real life – not just in a academic setting – to see where he stands in his life purpose before God. He wants to know how he scores on the tests so he can improve his way of living before God.  David wants to know if there is any wicked way, purpose, intention, direction for life or choices within him. He does not want to sin or practice sin in any way or to any degree. He wants to remove or have God remove any wickedness within him, so he will walk in the ways of God at all times – the way everlasting.

I wish I could say I've mastered the practice of this verse.  I honestly am not very good at it yet.  It's easier to pretend all is well, and assume I'm on the right track rather than risk being confronted and told otherwise.   

But, thankfully, I am a work in progress.  Recently, the Holy Spirit has convicted me and stirred a desire to root out sinful thoughts and feelings that are clogging up my heart.  This desire prompted me to begin my devotional time with David's prayer request.    I want the Lord to lead me in the way everlasting, and want to trust and obey Jesus as my Lord and Savior.    I, like David,  know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. (Psalm 51:3).  By approaching the Lord and requesting He know my heart and test me to see if there is any offensive way in me, I am submitting myself to being changed.  As I invite God in, and request that he remove the wickedness within me, He is faithful to lovingly instruct and guide me so I can walk closely with Him. 
From my heart, Acacia

Has this verse spoken to you in a special way?  Submit your story or reflections to us at: devotional@keywicards.com
“Writing on our hearts” is more than just a blog, we are an online community of Christians who share how God’s word has changed our hearts and our lives, especially through meditation, study, and memorization.  Please write us! We’d love to hear how this verse has ministered to you and what God has spoken to you through its truth!

Popular posts from this blog

March 2014 Prayer Letter

Dear friends and family, A heartfelt thank you to all of you for your prayers and support of the Keywi card project!  2014 is really picking up speed and I have some exciting updates to share with you as well as a number of specific prayer requests (all listed below).  Your agreement in prayer, encouragement, ideas, and feedback are priceless to me.  I cannot undertake this alone.  I am truly grateful for your support alongside me as I walk forward, endeavoring to follow Jesus' lead in all I do. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and guidance over this project.   He has truly orchestrated the sowing of His word! *Keywi cards have been sent all over the country including Washington state, Boston, New York city, Hagerstown, Maryland, and Brownwood, Texas.  Several friends of mine are also planning to transport them to Naples, Florida, Philadelphia, and even to Zimbabwe this May. &nbsp *Psalm 91 Keywis are continuing to be sent out to troops as a ...

The Keywi Goes to Costa Rica

     Years before launching the Keywi project , I traveled to Costa Rica with my church for a short-term mission trip.  I had just finished graduate school and I was anxious to be out of the classroom and immersed in an overseas adventure! Nevertheless, despite the change of scenery and long-distance location, my studious habits still traveled with me. In preparation for the trip I  made up a ring-bound set of flashcards with Bible verses in Spanish. I wanted to have some familiarity with God’s word in the Costa Rican native tongue.  All my years in Spanish classes had focused on practical things like where to find the bathroom or directions to a hospital... but if someone were to ask me about Jesus or to pray for them, I wanted to be prepared for that too!  One of the girls at the school who  helped us paint during our mission trip While on the trip, we had a blast visiting orphans, painting churches and schools, and hosting an...

The Keywi is Born

The very first Keywi cards, duct tape and all! After months of carrying around ring-bound flashcards in college, I decided to make a few changes of my own. Being able to study on the go was a definite plus, but there were a few problems with the flashcards I bought in stores. The ring the cards came with was much too flimsy for carrying around on my keys or snapped to my backpack. After a dozen or so times of losing all my cards because the ring pulled open, I switched to a sturdier carabiner. In addition, I taped a rubber band to the back card so I could keep the cards in a neat stack when I wasn’t using them. I used duct tape and a thin rubber band that eventually broke, but for the time I used the first “keywi ™” cards they served me well! From much use and being transported on my keys everywhere, the card edges got a little worn and discolored, but the trade-off was that I actually put to memory some encouraging verses that really applied to my life. I'll alway...