Skip to main content

Jeremiah 29:11

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”


Prophet Jeremiah’s letter to Babylon exiles


              It’s very easy when thinking about God’s plan for our lives to have the attitude: “it’s all about me.”  Yes, it’s true that God cares about every intricate detail in our lives.  In fact, Jesus said that even the hairs on our heads are numbered.  We can also mistakenly think that God’s plan is always going to be a “feel good” plan with the intent to make us happy. Jeremiah’s message in these verses is actually radically different.  He’s writing to a group of people who are being held captive, and are in exile from their homeland.  He’s writing to let them know that although they’re not where they would have expected, nor where they would have asked God to place them, God has not forgotten them and He still has a plan for their lives.  Even in the midst of a difficult situation, God wants them to know His plans.  In the preceding verses we see that a big part of God’s plan is for them to “seek the peace and prosperity of the city where I have sent you into exile” (Jeremiah 29:7).  In other words, God wants them to know that His plans are not just to benefit them personally. God’s also telling them that He’s not removing them from the situation immediately.  He does promise to eventually restore them, but it’s not coming quickly (70 years out when many of them will be dead).  God’s letting them know they can move forward, because in the eternal picture, God’s justice will prevail and everything will even out. Today, in the midst of difficult situations, God wants us to know He has a plan. 

God spoke this promise to me a little over four years ago, as I found myself at the end of my rope pulling a late night at the law library in preparation for my first set of law school exams.  I had three papers, two exams, and a presentation all due the next week. The amount of material I had to learn, synthesize, and understand in order to be able to apply it combined with the self-inflicted pressure to perform well overwhelmed me.  I was absolutely exhausted from the last three months.  I had spent 12 to 14 hours every day that semester reading court opinions, briefing cases, writing papers for class, and studying.  I was utterly burned out.  That awful heat of emotion welled up inside me and tears leaked out of my eyes.  

"I just can't do it anymore."  I whispered. "Lord, help! I never wanted to be here."  

No reply.   

My silent desperation continued.  "Why?  Why did I end up in law school?  I don't want to be a lawyer!  I want to be normal, enjoy life, maybe be a teacher, have a family! Why do I have to endure all this suffering?  I can't keep going."

My tears were rushing down my cheeks now.  I knew I had made a big mistake going to law school.  This just wasn't for me.  I wasn't cut out for it.  Maybe others were better suited to the task, but not me.

Then, a new thought interrupted my anguish.  "I know the plans I have for you." The thought came in a confident, assuring tone.   "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you."  My breath caught up in my throat.  "Plans to give you hope and a future."  My tears lessened.  I took a deep breath.  Jeremiah 29:11.  The verse I had memorized last year when I enrolled in law school when all other doors closed for me came to mind in soft reassurance.  

I wasn't alone.  I can do this.  I may not know the plan, but the Lord knows the plans for me.  In this difficult time, I can continue.  I may not know why the Lord led me to pursue my law degree, and I certainly never expected to be in this position, but the Lord has not forgotten me and He still has a plan for my life. Even in the midst of the trials of law school, God wants me to know His plans.  Encouraged, I reopened my Contracts textbook and continued my studies.  

Looking back, although I wasn't exactly "in exile from my homeland", I certainly felt isolated during my time in law school.  However, knowing and remembering His promise to me encouraged me to persevere and finish strong.   


Has this verse spoken to you in a special way? Submit your story or reflections to us at: devotional@keywicards.com

“Writing on our hearts” is more than just a blog, we are an online community of Christians who share how God’s word has changed our hearts and our lives, especially through meditation, study, and memorization. Please write us! We’d love to hear how this verse has ministered to you and what God has spoken to you through its truth!

Popular posts from this blog

April - May Prayer Letter 2014

Dear friends and family, I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend.  Praise God, Jesus is risen indeed!   I just wanted to share a few updates and  prayer  requests for the  Keywi  Card project: Please  pray  for the t rade show in Atlanta, Georgia! This June 22-25,  Keywi  Cards will be exhibiting at the International Christian Retail Show in Atlanta, Georgia ( http://christianretailshow. com/ ).   Nearly every major Christian bookstore retailer and distributor will be there along with many well-know Christian authors and speakers.  A s you can imagine, preparations for this show are quite extensive and I have often felt stressed and overwhelmed over the last few weeks.   I could really use  prayer  for balance, guidance, wisdom, and time management.   There are so many things that still need to be accomplished in a short period of time.  I'm making a catalog, designing hang tags and UPC labels, sourcing displays for the cards, designing and creating a booth for the

Why Memorize God's Word?

God’s word is living an d life-changing. Hebrews 4:12 states:  " For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (NIV) When you memorize key passages from the Bible, you are able to meditate on God’s word at any time. This is especially helpful when you face difficulties, fears, or attacks from the enemy. A better, more thorough knowledge of the Bible helps you pray and know God’s character in a deeper way as well as understand God’s will for your life. Not only will you be better able to handle life’s challenges, but you will be able to better encourage others in their spiritual journeys. Memorization of God’s word will also strengthen your spirit, increase your faith, and help you progress in spiritual maturity. Memorization of scripture takes dedication and perseverance, but the reward in reaping eternal, lasti

The Keywi Symbol

Beauty in nature reveals the artistry, creativity, and goodness of our Creator. Kiwi fruit is not just delicious to eat, but forms a beautiful starburst pattern when sliced in half. This is just one example of how we know and experience God’s goodness!  Psalm 34:8 encourages us to “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” (NIV) Just as God’s gift brings nourishment and delight to our senses, every set of Keywi™ cards made for this project is designed to be both beautiful and provide nourishment to the soul. As with any fruit, a kiwi begins as a tiny black seed. Planted in good soil with proper watering and light, the kiwi can grow into a vine and bear fruit.  Just as Jesus taught in the parable of the sower, my prayer is that the seeds of God’s word would fall on the good soil of your heart, producing in you a fruitful and abundantly fulfilling life. Bearing fruit requires that we remain in Christ.  Jesus stated i